Conveying the true implications of Bitcoin to the public requires long-form storytelling with a detailed and comprehensive narrative style.
This is an opinion piece by Pierre Corbin, documentary producer and director.
Bitcoin, the world’s first decentralized digital currency, has been making headlines for over a decade. Despite its growing popularity, the technology behind Bitcoin is still largely misunderstood by the general public.
In order to increase its global adoption, it is important to build a narrative that explains Bitcoin’s purpose and potential in a comprehensive and engaging way. This is where long-form storytelling comes in. By telling the story of Bitcoin in a thoughtful and detailed way, people are more likely to truly understand the technology and its impact on the world.
What is long-form storytelling?
Long-form storytelling is a storytelling style of telling a story in a complete and detailed way. This style of storytelling is often used to explain complex concepts and ideas in an easy to understand and engaging way. In the case of Bitcoin, long-form storytelling is an essential tool for building a narrative that helps people understand the purpose and potential of the technology.
The Importance of Storytelling for Bitcoin Adoption
Bitcoin’s story is not limited to the technology itself. These are the values and principles that underpin this technology, such as decentralization, transparency and security. A compelling story can help bring these values and principles to life, making them more tangible and accessible to people. Additionally, storytelling can help create an emotional connection to the technology, which can drive increased engagement and investment.
Another important aspect of storytelling is that it can help demystify technology. Bitcoin is often considered complex and confusing to those unfamiliar with it. A well-told story can help break down the technology and make it more accessible to a wider audience. By doing so, more people will be able to understand the potential of Bitcoin and its impact on their lives.
How to Tell the Story of Bitcoin
There are many different approaches to telling the story of Bitcoin, but finding a narrative that is both comprehensive and engaging is important. Some of the key elements that should be included in the Bitcoin story include:
- A history of the technology, including how it was created and why
- An explanation of how Bitcoin works, including the underlying blockchain technology
- A discussion of the values and principles that underpin Bitcoin, such as decentralization, security, and freedom
- An overview of Bitcoin’s potential impact on the world, including how it could change the financial system and increase financial inclusion
- A discussion of the challenges and obstacles that must be overcome in order to achieve widespread adoption of Bitcoin
When telling the story of Bitcoin, it’s also important to keep the audience in mind. The story should be accessible to a wide range of people, including those unfamiliar with technology. By using simple and clear language, avoiding technical jargon, and using analogies and examples, the Bitcoin story can be made more relevant and engaging.
Sources of inspiration
There are many sources of inspiration for telling the story of Bitcoin. Some of the most useful include:
- Satoshi Nakamoto’s Bitcoin white paper, which outlines Bitcoin’s original vision
- The history of money and the financial system, which provides context for understanding the potential impact of Bitcoin
- Stories of people who have been impacted by Bitcoin, either positively or negatively
- The work of experts and thought leaders in the field of blockchain technology and cryptocurrency, who can provide insight into the technology and its potential impact on the world.
With the right story, Bitcoin has the potential to change the financial system and increase financial inclusion globally. It is up to members of the Bitcoin community to continue to build and tell this story to drive its adoption and ensure its success.
Some movies are already doing a great job of showcasing Bitcoin. Here are some of the best, in case you haven’t seen them:
- “The Great Reset and the Rise of Bitcoin” by this author
- “Human B” by Aaron Mucke
- “Comeback Country” by Bitcoin Shooter
- “Bitcoin is Generational Wealth” by Matt Hornick
- “That Green Machine” by Jamie King
- “Hard Money” by Richard James
- “Sly Roundabout Way” by Javier Borrayo
This is a guest post by Pierre Corbin. The opinions expressed are entirely their own and do not necessarily reflect those of BTC Inc or Bitcoin Magazine.